Born on February 5th, 1962 in Dayton, Ohio.
Lives and works in San Francisco, California.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1980 – 1984, University of Missouri, School of Journalism, dual major Art and Journalism.
1980 – 1984, political cartoonist for the maneater, Columbia Missourian.
1984, political cartoonist, Columbia DailyTribune.
1985 – 1988, co-editor World War 3 Illustrated, New York City.
1991 – 1995, art editor Filth Weekly Weird News, San Francisco.
1994 – present, Fillmore poster artist for Bill Graham Presents, San Francisco.
1995 – 1996, poster artist and silkscreen printer with Psychic Sparkplug, San Francisco
1997 – 2012, co-owner with Ron Donovan, Firehouse Kustom Rockart Company, San Francisco.
2008 – present, art director, designer and printer for Firehouse-Goldenvoice Poster Series, Warfield and Regency Theaters, San Francisco.
2011- present, Dean of The Free University School of Art.
2012 – present, owner, Hangar 18 Print Studio, San Francisco.
Dazed and Confused Debut, Hangar 18, Oakland, March 7.
Scorcese: An Art Show Tribute, Bold Hype, NYC, April 19.
Decade-1, Group show, Varnish Fine Art, San Francisco, April 20.
Chuck Sperry solo show, Mondo Bizzarro, Rome, June 7.
Chuck Sperry solo retrospective show, Peoples Art of Portland, August 17.
Mind Spring, group show with Chuck Sperry, Chris Shaw and Ron Donovan, Varnish Fine Art Gallery, San Francisco, January 14 to February 18.
Masters of Venice, Patrons Party, discussion of “Mind Spring” by Chuck Sperry, Varnish Fine Art Gallery, San Francisco, February 1.
Dead Rockstars, group show, Blunt Graffix, Eugene, Oregon, February 2 to February 24.
The Free University School of Art, “Occupy Art, Five Week Seminar with Jon-Paul Bail and Chuck Sperry,” February 5 to March 4.
The Roots, group show, Firehouse, Chris Hopewell, Chase Marshall, Jorge Gamboa The Original Firehouse 1648 Pacific Avenue, San Francisco, March 8.
It’s Only Rock & Roll, Chuck Sperry & Chris Hopewell, Mr. Musichead, Los Angeles, March 10.
Flatstock 33, SXSW, Austin, Texas, March 14-17.
The Art of Moonalice, group show, Wes Wilson, Stanley Mouse, David Singer, Brooklyn Bowl, New York, New York, April 8.
The Class of ’72, group show, Jeff Wood, Glenn Barr, Jermaine Rogers, Justin Hampton, Alan Forbes, The Flood Gallery, London, May 3.
ArtPadSF, group show, Varnish Fine Art Gallery, with Jennybird Alcantara, Mike Davis, Jessica Joslin, Chris Mars, Ransom & Mitchell, Isabel Samaras, Phoenix Hotel, SF, May 17-20.
Psyck Italia Tour, Milan, Torino, Pisa, Genova, La Spezia, May 25 – June 8.
• “Evolution Goes On Festival,” Centro Sociale Leoncavallo, Milan, May 25 – May 27.
• Chuck Sperry Poster Expo, with Guitar Wolf and Bob Log III, United Club, Torino, May 29.
• Leningrad Café, Argini e Margini di Arno, with Broadcash and DJ Dome La Muerte, Pisa, June 1.
• Italian Poster Rock Art Expo, Santa Croce sull’Arno, Pisa, June 2-3.
• Chuck Sperry Postermaking Workshop & Expo, with Kepi Ghoulie, presented by Taxi Driver Records at Spazio Cernaia, Genova, June 5-7.
• Chuck Sperry and Kepi Ghoulie Art Show, Club Shake, La Spezia, June 8.
Occupy Bay Area, group show, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco, July 7 – October 14.
Varnish Fine Artists Benefit Visual Aid, group show, Varnish Fine Art Gallery, San Francisco, August 16 to August 18.
TRPS Rock Art By The Bay 2012, group show, The Cannery, San Francisco, August 18.
Chuck Sperry in Argentina Tour, Mar del Plata, Buenos Aires, Rosario, October 12 – October 19.
• “High Volume, The Art of Chuck Sperry” Presentation & Lecture, Trimarchi Design Conference, Mar del Plata, October 12 – October 14.
• “High Volume, The Art of Chuck Sperry” Blackfin Trend Store, Buenos Aires, October 17.
• Chuck Sperry Postermaking Workshop & Expo, Espacio Cabrera, Buenos Aires, October 18.
• “High Volume, The Art of Chuck Sperry” Presentation & Lecture, Postermaking Workshop & Expo, Centro de la Juventud, Rosario, October 19.
• “High Volume, The Art of Chuck Sperry” Presentation & Lecture, University of Buenos Aires (FADU), October 22.
The Art of Moonalice, group show, Wes Wilson, Stanley Mouse, David Singer, Brooklyn Bowl, New York, New York, October 28.
“High Volume, The Art of Chuck Sperry” Presentation & Lecture, Free University of San Francisco, November 18.
Ten Club Art and Poster Convention, group show, Ames Brothers, Frank Kozik, Justin Hampton, Jeff Soto, The Showbox, Seattle, December 2.
Dean of The Free University School of Art. Instructed First Five Week course offering:
• Chris Shaw and Chuck Sperry, “Rock Poster Art,” March 6.
• Blek le Rat, “Stencil Graffiti 1981-2011 / live stencil demonstration,” March 20.
• Winston Smith, “Punk Art / discussion and review,” March 27.
• Jon-Paul Bail, “Bay Area Graffiti Overview / live street art demonstration,” April 3.
• Eric Drooker, “Musical Slide Show,” Fivepoints Arthouse, San Francisco, April 15.
Required Reading, group show, Gallery 1988, Melrose, Los Angeles, April 15.
Make Tacos Not War, group show, Wildcat Loft, Napa, May 6.
Firehouse & Les Editions Pénibles, Sésame, Paris, June 6 to July 10.
SFMOMA Artists Gallery Windows, San Francisco, June 11 to January, 12, 2012.
I Poster Dimenticati di Chuck Sperry, Centro Sociale Leoncavallo, Milan, July 30.
LA vs. WAR, The Vortex, Los Angeles, September 9 to September 11.
Varnish Relaunch (Part 1), Varnish Fine Art Gallery, San Francisco, September 24 to November 5.
High Volume: Rock Art From The Chuck Sperry Archive and Firehouse Goldenvoice Poster Series, San Francisco Public Library, Main Branch, October 7 to January 6, 2012.
TRPS Festival of Rock Posters 2011, Hall of Flowers, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, October 8.
Chuck Sperry Rock Art, Sésame, Paris, October 13.
Chuck Sperry Rock Art, Salon Claire du Preville, Marseille, October 16.
High Volume, reception and presentation of “Chuck Sperry Archive”, San Francisco Public Library, Main Branch, October 20.
The Art of Moonalice, Fairfax Pavilion, November 4 and 5.
SCOPE Miami Art Fair 2011, Varnish Fine Art Gallery, Miami, November 29 to December 4.
30 Years of the Art of World War 3 Illustrated: America’s Longest Running Political Comic Book,
The Sanctuary of Independent Media, Troy, NY, February 22 – June 26.
Spring Forward, with Jacknife, Artrock, San Francisco, March 11-12.
Flatstock 24, SXSW, Austin, March 17-19.
Psychedelic Secession Tour, Italy, Switzerland, UK and France – June 1 to July 10.
• Mondo Bizzarro Gallery, Rome, June 3.
• Club Shake, with Malleus and The Liars, La Spezia, June 4.
• Taxi Driver, Genoa, June 5.
• Keith Café, Pisa, June.
• Leningrad Café, Argini e Margini di Arno, with DJ Dome La Muerte, Pisa, June 7-8.
• Magnolia, MIODI Independent Music Festival, with Ufomammut, Malleus, Steuso and Kabuto, Milan, June 9.
• Cuculia, with Roberto Calabro, Alessandro Ansani, The Liars and Eighties Colours (book release), Florence, June 10-30.
• Black Candy, Florence, June 11.
• Alcatraz, Firehouse poster show with Bad Religion and The Peeweas, Milan, June 12.
• Mole Vanvitelliana, Ancona, July 4 – August 26.
• Les Docks, with DJ Disc-aBrac, Lausanne, June 16.
• Usine / Le Kab, with Zwegh, Geneva, June 17.
• The Croft, with Jacknife, Rhys Wootten (BRAG), Luke Drodz, Bristol, June 19.
• Glastonbury Music Festival, with Jacknife, Glastonbury, June 23-27.
• Nottinghill Arts Club, with The Invasion of… , London, June 29.
• Sésame, Paris, July 1 – September 6.
• Mycroft, with Alexandre D’Huy and Les Editions Pénibles, Paris, July 2 – July 10.
• Au Petit Garage, With Alexandre D’Huy and Les Editions Pénibles, Paris, July 3.
• Flatstock 25, Hall of Flowers, San Francisco, July 10.
The Decade With No Name, Jack London Square, Oakland, August 6 to September 12.
Hangar 18 Poster Show & BBQ, Bottom of the Hill, San Francisco, August 22.
Faya Gallery with Chuck Sperry, Chris Shaw & Peter LeCompte, New York, NY, September 8.
Swiss Tour 2010 with Chuck Sperry, Ron Donovan and Lindsey Kuhn – October 2 to October 8.
• Rockaholics II, with Guy Burwell, Malleus, Lindsey Kuhn, Chris Hopewell, Blackyard, Michael Hacker, Fabien Von Unwerth, Zurich, October 2.
• Rock Poster Bazar, with Mart Infanger, Metzgerhalle, Luzern – October 4.
• Rock Poster Bazar, Reithalle, Bern – October 5.
• Flashback, La Station Orbitale, Geneva – October 6-7-8.
• Rock Poster Show, Bergstrom Studios, Frankfurt – October 9-10.
TRPS Festival of Rock Posters 2010, Hall of Flowers, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, October 10.
Bad Dads, A Tribute to the Films of Wes Anderson, LoPo Gallery, San Francisco, October 30 to November 20.
The Bridge Is Over, LoPo Gallery, San Francisco, November 27 to December 18.
Graphic Radicals: 30 Years of World War 3 Illustrated, Exit Art, New York, NY, December 7 to February 7.
Signs of Change, Varnish Fine Art, San Francisco, January 16 – February 13.
Eyesore Anniversary, 540 Club, San Francisco, March.
Wordless Worlds: World War 3 Illustrated, Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art, New York, April 30.
Stop The Armed Forces: Exhibition Against Police Brutality, Los Angeles, May 15 – 16.
Rock The Streets: The Rise of American Rock Poster Art, Ogilvy Advertising Agency, San Francisco, June 4 – February 26, 2010.
Eminent Domain Awareness, Varnish Fine Art, San Francisco, June 5.
Lucky 13 Art Show, Lucky 13, Alameda, July 17.
Best of The East Bay, Oakland Museum of California, August 7.
TRPS Festival of Posters 2009, Hall of Flowers, San Francisco, October 10.
Dark Nouveau, with Malleus and Alan Forbes, Artrock, San Francisco, October 10.
Dark Nouveau, with Malleus, Dave Hunter, and Alan Forbes, Varnish Fine Art, San Francisco, October 23 – 24.
Mission Muralismo, de Young Museum, San Francisco, November 6.
Art of Musical Maintenance VI, Goodfoot, Portland, December 3 – January 25, 2010.
UK Rock Poster Explosion Tour, United Kingdom, June 11 to July 5.
- Notting Hill Arts Club, London, June 11.
- Offside Bar & Gallery, A Night Of 1968 Inspiration, Long Hot Summer, Islington, London, June 13.
- Urbis Gallery, Manchester, with Nick Rhodes & British Rock Artists Group (BRAG), June 14-15.
- Archipelago Art Gallery & Studio, Sheffield, June 16-17.
- Studio 4 Gallery, Birmingham, June 18-19.
- The Basement, Brighton, with British Rock Artists Group (BRAG), June 20-21.
- Notting Hill Arts Club, London, with San Francisco band La Plebe (Mick Jones of The Clash singing), June 23.
- Inn On The Green, London, June 25.
- Hyde Park, London, releasing poster made for Eric Clapton, June 28-29.
- The Croft, Bristol, with Jacknife Posters, July 4-5.
Art of Musical Maintenance V, Goodfoot, Portland, December 4 – January 26. 2009.
Flatstock 12, Austin, TX, March 16 – 18.
Escape From the Island of the Damned Tour, March 29 – May 30.
- Red Room, Berlin, April 1.
- Möbel Olfe, Berlin, April 6 .
- L’Intermédiaire, Marseille, April 20.
- Lollipop, Marseille, April 21.
- Café Liber, Torino, with Giampo Copparoni, April 28.
- Leningrad Café, margini Lungarno Galilei, Pisa, May 26.
British Rock Artists Group Workshop, San Francisco, August 24 – September 2.
Visionary Delusion Tour, February 7 – August 12.
(Established a studio for making silkscreen posters and prints, Milan, February 7 – August 12.)
- Cinema Les Variétés, Marseille, February, 23.
- Machine a Coudre, with Hatepinks and Aggrevations, Marseille, February 25.
- La Part des Ange, Marseille, February 27.
- Le Saint Sauveur, Paris, April 4.
- Le Petit Garage, Paris, April 5 – 6.
- La Fanzinotéque, with Tanxxx, Poitiers, April 7 – 8.
- GRRR! Festival, Belgrade (Pancevo), April 29 – May 1.
- Subscreensonic, workshop master class with formation of British Rock Artists Group (BRAG), Brighton, May 18 – 19.
- Twist-Off Fest, Lucca, July 29.
- Leningrad Café, Margini Lungarno Galilei, Pisa, August 3.
- Quarto Potere, public art display in city center, Milan, August 24 – September 18.
- Belief Festival by Invitation of The Cultural Minister of Serbia, public art display and lecture, Museum of History, Belgrade, August 7 – 10.
Flatstock 10, Seattle, September
Babel Festival, with Jeff Smith creator of Bone, Athens, October 12 – 15.
Coffix Café, Thessaloniki, October 17.
Viva Dolor, Lyon, October 19 – 21.
Art of Modern Rock World Book Tour, Firehouse and Lindsey Kuhn, April 16 – May 27.
- Fumetto International Comix Festival, Luzern, April 16 – 24.
- Usine, Geneva, April 25 – 26.
- Caves du Manior, Martigny, April 27
- Zwirnkammerkollektiv, with Jay Ryan, Derek Hess, and Douze Studio, Munich, April 29
- Galerie Feinkunst / Weltbuhne, with Jay Ryan and Derek Hess, Hamburg, April 30.
- Tsunami Club, Cologne, May 3.
- Club Bla, Bonn, May 4.
- Artazart, Paris, May 5 – 6.
- Reithalle, Bern, May 11
- Kulturzentrum Scheune, with Douze Studio, Dresden, May 14 – 20.
- International Rock Poster Explosion, with Malleus and Matteo Guarnaccia, Centro Sociale Leoncavallo, Milan, May 20 – 22.
- La Passarelle, Marseille, May 24.
- Cinema Les Variétés, Marseille, May 26.
- The Red Lion, Marseille, May 27.
Flatstock 4, Austin, March 19 – 20.
Kalifornia Kustom Tour March 25 – May 11.
- Magnet Club, Berlin, March 25.
- Club Bla, Bonn, March 26.
- Tsunami Club, March 27.
- L’Arch du MorphÃ©e, Paris, April 1 – 3.
- Cafe Moloko, Geneva, April 14 – 16.
- Cafe I-Fluss, Reitshalle, Bern, April 17 – 19.
- La Passarelle, Marseille, April 21.
- Le Poste a Galene, Marseille, April 22.
- La Cueva, Milan, April 27 – 29.
- La Stanza, Montecatini, May 1.
- Club Shake, with Malleus, La Spezia, May 7 – 8.
- Mobel Olfe, Berlin, May 11.
- Arezzo, May.
- Hard Rock, Paris, June – July.
- Paris Olympia Theater, July.
Flatstock 2, SXSW, Austin, March 14 – 15.
Sci-Fi Western, 111 Minna Street Gallery, San Francisco, January 23 – March 29.
Eyesore Northwest Tour, Oregon and Washington, April.
- Gallery Bink, Portland.
- Confounded Books, Seattle.
- Village Books, Bellingham.
Eyesore Release, 540 Club, San Francisco, April 22.
Eyesore Release, Anu Bar, San Francisco, April 26.
Deconstruction Tour, May – June.
- Franken, Berlin
- Knoth und Krüger, Berlin
- Street Show near Z Bar, Berlin
- Arena, Vienna
- World’s End, Zurich
- Reithalle, Bern
- La Station Orbitale, Geneva
- Madonna, Geneva
- Happening Internationale Underground 9, Centro Sociale Leoncavallo, Milan, May 16 – 18.
Top Fuel, with Chris Shaw, Dirty Donny, and Lucky Mule, Lo-Fi Customs Gallery, San Francisco, July 5 – August 15.
Eyesore & Lowlife Paradise Book Release, with Glen Barr, Varnish Fine Art, San Francisco, September 13.
Safety Third Tour, Germany, April.
- Z Bar, Berlin.
- Franken, Berlin.
- Glaswerk, Berlin.
- Lovelite, Berlin.
- Schlacthof, Weisbaden.
- Hellmut, Saarbrucken.
Tiki Fondu Tour, Switzerland, May.
- Cafe Moloko, Geneva.
- Reithalle, Bern.
Happening Internationale Underground 8, Centro Sociale Leoncavallo, Milan, May.
Meat Fest, Chris Shaw Studio, Oakland, July.
Porca Madonna 2, Chris Shaw Studio, Oakland, August 26.
Knight of the Wrong Table, with Alan Forbes, Lucky 13, San Francisco, August.
Flatstock 1, Cellspace, San Francisco, September.
Cover The Earth, Flatstock Party, Balazo Gallery, San Francisco, September.
Flatstock Closing Party, Thee Parkside, San Francisco, September.
Vino Is Keeno, Hotel Biron, San Francisco, October.
Eyesore Tour, Firehouse European Book Tour, November – December.
- Scandia, Hamburg.
- Hellfish Tattoo, Bremen.
- Plan 9, Ghent.
- La Zone, Liege.
- Vlas Vegas, Kortrijk.
- Born Bad, Paris.
- Waldsee, Freiburg
- Hirscheneck, Basel.
- La Station Orbitale, Geneva.
- Reithalle, Bern.
- World’s End, Zurich.
- Comedia, St. Gallen.
- Remise, Wil.
- Gessnerallee, Zurich.
- La Cueva, Milan.
- Centro Fumetto Andrea Pazienza, Cremona.
- Mondo Bizzarro, Bologna.
All Quiet on the Western Front, with Winston Smith, Chase Marshall, Alan Forbes, and Frank Kozik, Max Fish New York, April.
The San Francisco Pop Art Poster Show, with Chris Shaw and Winston Smith, Usine, Geneva, April.
Happening Internationale Underground 7, Centro Sociale Leoncavallo, Milan, May.
G8 Tour, with Jello Biafra, Winston Smith and Chris Shaw, Italy, May.
- Hiroshima Mon Amour, Torino.
- Club Link, Bologna.
- Forte Prenestino, Rome.
Bikini Biker Festival, with Chris Shaw, Café Degli Artisti, Cessinanatico, June.
Eyesore Yugoslavia, with Chris Shaw, Apollo Theater, Pancevo, June.
Z Bar, Berlin, June.
Razzle Dazzle, Berlin, June.
Meat Fest, Chris Shaw Studio, Oakland, July.
Porca Madonna, Chris Shaw Studio, Oakland, August.
Happening Internationale Underground 6, Centro Sociale Leoncavallo, Milan, May.
Gangbang Tour, with Chris Shaw, Marco Almera, and Chase Marshall, Germany, June.
- Rock N Roll Weekender, Wadorf.
- Mobel Tegeler Car Show, Trebin.
- Flying Piston Pop Art Gallery, Berlin.
- Altona Trainyard, Hamburg.
- Domane, Berlin.
Firehouse Spacedocks with La Station Obitale, La Station Orbitale, Geneva, June.
XPO, with Chris Shaw, Milan, June.
A Fistful of Lira Tour, with Chase Marshall, Italy, November.
•Tattoo Convention, Fortessa di Basso, Florence.
•Villa Capriglio, Torino.
•Forte Prenestino, Rome.
Hazmat, Crocodile, Seattle, April.
San Francisco Rock Poster Revival, Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, October.
Chrome, Grober Unfug, Berlin, November.
Bellevue Punx Show, Usine, Geneva, November.
Trasgressioni Cromate Tour, Italy, November.
•Club Lizard, Carrara.
•Leningrad Café, Pisa.
•Jack The Ripper, Verona.
•Mondo Bizzarro, Bologna.
•Club Flog, Florence.
ComicCon, San Diego, August.
Visual Feast, Spectrum Gallery, San Francisco.
The Devil Made Me Do It, Transmission Theatre, San Francisco.
Stalker.com, MNO Gallery, Los Angeles, February.
No Love, Balazo Gallery, San Francisco, February.
First Strike, Balazo Gallery, San Francisco, May.
Warriors Come Out and Play, Noiseville Gallery, New York, August.
Eyesore, Max Fish, New York, October.
Comtemporary Mexican and American Poster Artists, Panaderia, Mexico City, November.
Temporary Insanity 2, Off The Wall, San Francisco, June.
Temporary Insanity, Off The Wall, San Francisco, June.
Cyber Spider, Artrock, San Francisco, June.
Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Opening, Powerhouse, Cleveland, September.
Two Rad Dudes With Big Dental Instruments, Off The Wall, San Francisco, September.
Rock Art Expo, Hall of Flowers, San Francisco, October.
Ignition, Nitebreak, San Francisco, December.
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, DC.
California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, CA.
San Francisco Public Library, San Francisco Art, Music and Recreation Archive, Main Branch, 100 Larkin Street, San Francisco, CA.
San Francisco Public Library, San Francisco History Archive, Main Branch, 100 Larkin Street, San Francisco, CA.
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland, OH.
High Volume: The Art of Chuck Sperry, Last Gasp.
Eyesore: Recent Litter from The Firehouse Kustom Rockart Company, Last Gasp.
The Art of Modern Rock, Chronicle Books.
L’Art du Rock, Panama.
Gigposters: Rock Show Art of The 21st Century, Quirk Books.
Rock Art Posters, Eyrolles.
Moonalice Legend, Volume I, Moonalice.
Moonalice Legend, Volume II, Moonalice.
The Art of British Rock, Elephant Books.
Classic Rock Posters, Elephant Books
Street Art San Francisco: Mission Muralismo (forward by Carlos Santana), Abrams.
Electric Frankenstein: High-Energy Punk Rock & Roll Poster Art, Dark Horse.
Peace Signs: The Anti-War Movement Illustrated, Edition Olms.
Yo! What Happened to Peace?, Yo Peace.
Tiki Art Now!, Last Gasp.
World War 3 Illustrated: 1980-1988, Fantagraphic Books.
World War 3: Confrontational Comics, Running Press.
Redemption Song: The Definitive Biography of Joe Strummer by Chris Salewicz, HarperCollins.
Beautiful Children by Charles Bock, Random House.
Lipstick Traces by Greil Marcus, Harvard University Press.
Get Up by Bucky Sinister, Conari.
American Artifact: The Rise of American Rock Poster Art, Merle Becker, director.